Thursday, August 27, 2009

EOTD: Experimenting With Stila Kajal Eye Liners As Eyeshadows

I have been feeling quite adventurous lately with my makeup and while rummaging through my stash, I found my many have-been-almost-forgotten Stila Kajal Eye Liners in different colors ranging from Sapphire to Smokey Quartz to Rose Quartz and Topaz.

And I was wondering what to do with the lighter-colored Kajal Eye Liners such as Rose Quartz. Then it struck my mind to try using it as an eyeshadow. You know, just paint my lid with the liner, smudge it a bit then may be highlight the upper part of the lid with some liquid eye shimmer?

Haha!! And I did just that step-by-step as I had 'chronicled' in the paragraph above. Huh! So what did I get? Another nude look....muahaha....


Swatch of Stila Kajal Eye Liner in Rose Quartz
Haha, yes, I am fair and actually, I almost cannot see the liner swatched on my hand.
*crease my forehead*



Eye Of The Day
-I drew the liner on my upper lash line, then repeated several times to get the intensity I wanted (but didn't seem to get any more intense) and also to get a thicker line of color up to my double eye lid.
*Now it occured to me that perhaps with an eye base, the intensity of the color will come out better. A point to note for myself.*
-Then I just used my finger to blend the color a bit toward the crease.
-I dabbed some Paul & Joe eye gloss in 04 Marbre (shimmery light teal color) below my brow bone and blended it to meet with the liner/shadow. DONE!
-Of course, not to forget the brow which I used Stila Automatic brow definer in Coffee.
-And finished off with Estee Lauder Turbolash mascara for my lashes!

There you are, another nude eye makeup!
:D



That's not all, ladies....

Later during the day, I went a little crazy and decided to play with the Stila Kajal Eye Liner in Sapphire. I was already at home. It wasn't planned but just an impulse to try out the Sapphire since I already had on the Rose Quartz for the whole day which surprisingly didn't crease (despite not using eye base for the EOTD above), So before I remove my makeup, I took out the Sapphire Kajal Eye Liner and did the same steps as above but over the Rose Quartz. And Hubby got a shock with the dark blue color. I took some photos of it but am not showing it here :P.

But what I did was to tone it down with a blue eyeshadow - I Nuovi D27 in Electric. I swiped the I Nuovi D27 in Electric over the liner and also a bit up to the crease. Here you go....please don't laugh at the following photo ;), as it's just only an experiment. Will definitely improve on that in future.

The photos were taken with flash at night.


14 comments:

Jessying said...

wow thats electrifying bluee... did u goand electric ur hubby... keke...

i also use kajal eyeliner to make as eyeshadow when lazy .. hehe , however colours i bought a bit dark so i turn out like panda eyes !!

Anonymous said...

Wow! i prefer the blue actually. i don't really see the point of using stuff that is too light to be visible. my opinion only. the blue is intense! pretty. it bring out your eyes from the contrasting colour. i like it anyway. have fun! got any purple? haha...

abby

Janice said...

i like tat i nuovi 1... so colorful and cool...

Vonvon said...

Hi Jess,

What colors of Kajal Eye Liner do you have? You can always add a bright shade of eyeshadow on top to make it look less 'panda'. :)

Vonvon said...

Hi abby,

Thanks. I didn't know that my little experiment with BLUE would get a more favorable response than nude makeup ;). No worries. I am liking the Blue myself though I wouldn't know if I would dare to spot it for a casual day out. :P

Purple??? That's one of my favorite colors, and for eyeshadow as well. Coming up....

Vonvon said...

Thanks Janice! I Nuovi has some really nice colors, right?

Anonymous said...

Really? you have purple liners? coolness! eyeshadows...we both have THAT. haha...will wait patiently....maybe try the blue for a night out? not so "visible" if you are afraid to show it.

abby

Vonvon said...

Hi abby,

Well, not really purple I guess....Plum from EL and Stila Amethyst... well, those are close enough to the Purple family. Might get Fuchsia (ok, that's more like pink/red family) from MAC Maira Kalman....muahaha....

Btw, I went out yesterday afternoon with a similar blue look...but a different shade of blue shadow... ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey hey Von,

I see. Haha not very good at the makeup colour lingo yet. Ooo...I bougt a nice new pair of Fuschia shoes! Loves...(sorry for OTT). Have never heard of Maira Kalman. Sigh... muct brush up.

Aww...see. Just go for it! People won't stare.

abby

Vonvon said...

Heya abby,

Actually, I haven't heard of her either till I found out about the MAC latest collection Make-Up Art Cosmetics - one of their sub-collection is by Illustrator Maira Kalman... Got some stuff today from MAC.....oh dear MAC....I am really becoming a MAC "wh**e"! Haha!! But in a good way ;P

Dee said...

Love the blue look dear! you should use a smudger brush or a q-tip to sumge and smoke it out~!

Marce said...

I love the idea and how it looks on you. Sometimes great makeup can be achieved with so little, right? I especially like the blue, it really pops! :)

Vonvon said...

Hi Dee,

Thanks. And thanks for the suggestion. Should have thought about it.;) Point taken :)

Vonvon said...

Hi Marce,

Thank you for visiting and following my blog.

Yes, I have learned that with a little creativity and adventure ;), we can achieve a lot with just a simple product. Glad you like the blue. Looks like blue is going to become more common in my makeup now. :)