Monday, September 21, 2009

Benefit Velvet Eyeshadows Are Here

I have seen the new Benefit Velvet Eyeshadows in their Early Fall 2009 catalog here a few months back and of course, the eyeshadows have been out in the US since early summer or earlier. And to think that we only got them here like in early September if I'm not mistaken.


The new Benefit Velvet eyeshadows as shown in their Early Fall 2009 catalog (pix top & above)


Anyways, I have spotted these eyeshadows when I was at One Utama with one of my friends some time last week at their new standalone store on the 1st floor of New Wing. Well, it's not really a standalone store as they are still under Parkson department store. So when you purchase from this Benefit 'store' during the Parkson members' day or whatever promotion they are running, you are still entitled to collect the vouchers and Bonuslink points, etc. whichever is applicable.

Needless to say, the excited me quickly took the chance to swatch all the 10 shades available, including the limited edition shade I Cannes & I Will, though I wouldn't say I like its texture as it feels a bit gritty due to the glitters but the shade is definitely my kind of color.

The new Benefit Velvet eyeshadows as shown in their Beauty Book & Holiday Gift Guidel 2009 catalog


Swatches of all the 10 shades
Sorry, the photo* and labels are a bit small.
*Click on the pix to enlarge.

My favorites???
Like What You Sea?, Bikini Line, I Cannes & I Will and 'Gimme Some' Plum!!

A little review:
Except for I Cannes & I Will, the rest of the shadows have a soft and buttery smooth texture and some even felt like it's 'creamy' to my fingers. But it's definitely not cream shadow. The shadows are mostly shimmery but color pay-off is mostly moderate, I would say.

And the lighter, more neutral shades are actually quite sheer - look at the 1st 3 colors on the left, a bit difficult to distinguish between Fawn Over Me and Leggy. I would say these 2 colors will work great for highlighting. Bikini Line can also work as a highlighter but if you layer it on, it can be a lid color as well. It also works to give your eyes the more awakened look when you apply it to the inner corners of your eyes.

In my opinion, 'Gimme Some' Plum is like the powder eyeshadow version of the Creaseless Cream Shadow/Liner in Gossip(a silvery plum). I might get this to go with the Gossip.

Where There's Smoke(smoky pewter) is quite a versatile color which can be used for contouring and/or to create a smoky eye look. It does look a little similar (but definitely not the same) to MAC Smoke & Diamonds, and even Bobbi Brown's Heather Mauve. And I have both the latter. Guess will pass this on. Since this shade is in the permanent line, I could always get it another time.

Btw, the price of this eyeshadow is RM73 each for 3.00gram of product in a square plastic pan with white cover and it's transparent plastic in the middle of the cover with prints of doves in pairs.
Quite reasonable I'd say for a Benefit eyeshadow.

Do check out the new eyeshadows and grab yourself a copy of the latest Beauty Book & Holiday Gift Guide 2009. The gift sets from Benefit for this coming holiday season are gorgeous with lots of their new products and the best thing is their prices are slightly cheaper than last year's!
Though they are not in the counters yet...




12 comments:

Miu said...

nice review on benefit's latest e/s

how much will the online benefit shopping site be selling these e/s? coz if it's cheaper than Msia counters then I don't mind getting them :D

I still think Benefit in My so #$%%^ expensive.

Vonvon said...

Hi Miu,

Thanks. Glad you like the short review. These e/s cost $18 each on the Benefit US website. So after conversion would come to almost the same price as over here.

abby said...

Hey hey,

I picked up a copy last week. But didn't have time to swatch anything. Looks nice! I like Where There's Smoke as well as those you mentioned you like. The Plum looks quite light though.

I need to go play one day! Hehe...

Vonvon said...

Hi abby,

We seem to have some common interests. :)
Yea, the Plum does look a bit sheer, but pairing it up with Gossip might bring out the color more. Will try this combo next time.

Go and play and share your thoughts....can't wait to read your views on this.

abby said...

Hey again,

Yup we do! My fave SA from Robinsons is there now. Yay! Actually told me the same thing about Plum and Gossip.

I swatched just Smoke and Plum i believe. Didn't have much time. Oh, was told I Cannes & I Will isn't LE though. Just new i suppose?

The perfumes are pretty nice. Cute bottle & box! But i prefer them after they have had a chance to sit. Have you had a whiff of them?

Vonvon said...

Hi abby,

Yea, I checked the Benefit US website, it says I Cannes & I Will is NEW, but the SA told me it's LE.

I like Lee Lee more than the other 2. :)

abby said...

Hey,

I see. Misunderstanding i suppose. It happens. At least now we know it isn't. It's a nice colour i don't mind having a chance to grab some time.

Really? That is the one i tried on! Gina is nice too. Once you let it sit. Sofia, too strong for me.

gio said...

Thanks for the review. The colors look pretty but I prefer more pigmented shadows so I think I'll pass on these. But I love the packaging, it's very cute!

Vonvon said...

Hi abby,

Yea, good to know that's not a LE, so we can take our time to decide which to purchase.

Vonvon said...

Hi gio,

You are welcome. Benefit does have some really nice packaging. I know your preference for pigmented shadows by now after seeing so many of your EOTDs. :) The colors I mentioned above are actually quite good for highlighting, either to tone down really bright colors or may be to make certain shadow colors pop.

Shuu said...

Thanks for the swatches Von!
The color are pretty, but I think spending over RM70 for such color pay off is not so worthy. But that's just me :P
I'm sure I Will and I Canned will look good on ya. The pretty gold shimmers.. :D

Vonvon said...

Hi Shuu,

Nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you. :)

I know what you mean....indeed, the shadows are a little pricey but certain colors really call out to me :P....but I am putting off getting any for now 'cos I am eyeing some other stuff as well, not only from Benefit ;)

Next time, I'll definitely try out I Cannes & I Will on my eyes.....