Monday, April 26, 2010

Laura Mercier Zen Face Palette Limited Edition - Overview & Swatches

During one of my beauty adventures with my friend, I chanced upon the Laura Mercier Zen Face Palette which is a limited edition one, of course!

By now, I am sure quite a number of you already known that what a palette-crazy person I am. ;)

And my friend, ever the so understanding and supportive one, just knew that I would go ga-ga over this palette and yes, I did! Not only over the palette and its content, but also the packaging as well. Well, as much as I love this palette, I do have a gripe on it, and so does my friend, and apparently, we were told that many others are having some reservation over this palette. Wonder what is it?

Read on......

The Zen Face Palette (pic below) is a complete face compact which comes with 4 eyeshadow shades, a blush and 4 lipglosses. And it is housed in a silver colored metal compact with a dark cobalt blue fabric 'quilted' top cover. Inside the top cover is a mirror.

The color of the fabric chosen and the colors outlining the lotus flowers even complement the shades of the eyeshadows in this palette. In my personal opinion, this makes the palette more desirable as it kind of indicate that much thoughts have been put into the design of this palette and things that are complementary will almost always get Vonvon's approval. :)


Laura Mercier Zen Face Palette


Now that you have seen the layout of this beautiful palette, can you guess what could be my gripe on it? ;)

Yes, the powder products are housed together with the lipglosses!!! WHY????
Although the eyeshadows and blush don't have too much fall-out, but I think using the palette in the long run, would inevitably get some of the powders onto the lippies. Not really a big deal for me, but at the same time, I have known of Laura Mercier palettes such as their Signature Toolbox from their yearly Holiday Collection which was a well-designed 2-tier palette - eyeshadows on top, and the lippies in a pull-out drawer beneath it.
So why can't they, at least have a transparent plastic cover for the lippies if they have decided to include everything in one palette?
That is what making me hesitant to parting with RM229 (for this palette)!



OK, gripe aside, let's take a look at the swatches..........



Swatches were made without an eye base and swiped twice from the pan.
Overall, the colors are rather muted, though the pigmentation is quite good and color pay-off is not too bad. The colors are somewhat semi-matte, with tiny specks of shimmer. I think it would become more intensified with a base, and the shades are also buildable.
More detailed description on each of the shades can be found at Temptalia.







So what do you think? Is it worth getting the palette or like me and Temptalia, you prefer to have the powder products and lippies separated before you decide to plonk down your money?

But I have to say again that this palette is so ME! :D


8 comments:

Paris B said...

Pretty but I stay far far away from mixed palettes. Other than fall out from powder into cream, there is a problem of glosses going rancid which spoils the palette in the future.

Vonvon said...

Hi Paris B,

Yea, you got a point there about the glosses turning rancid. Hmmm....such a waste, isn't it? Everything else seem so good and nice.

Sherry said...

haha.. I remember the palette I not open sometimes then open like.. eh.. why look diff.

Vonvon said...

Yes, Sherry. Lipglosses can turn bad faster than dry powder products.

melian22 said...

Hmm...tough call. It depends on how much you like the palette. I have mixed palettes too but I cut out and attach a small piece of plastic to my palettes to cover the lip products. It works to a certain extent for me.

Sherry said...

is it von, I don know about that.

Vonvon said...

Hi melian,

I agree with you about making our own cover for the lippie part. But I have seen better design Laura Mercier palettes, hence not going to bother about that. ;)

Vonvon said...

Sherry, normally cream/liquid products can turn bad faster than dry powder products because of the higher moisture/water content in them. That's why nowadays, I am not buying too many lippies. :)