Tuesday, May 11, 2010

LOTDs, Reviews & Swatches: Maybelline Color Sensational Moisture Extreme Lip Colors - Summer Sunset, Pink Bloom, Papaya Milk & Buff

Today is gonna be Lippies' Day!

I have 4 star shades from this new range of lipsticks from Maybelline to try out and I am so WOW-ed by all of them, except for the shade Pink Bloom. I love Pinks, but I am going to explain why later in this post. Be warned: quite a long post with lots of photos!

Let's have an overview of these lippies before I go into details and show you lip swatches of the individual shades.

The whole lipstick feels very lightweight but due to the powder-coating finish of its casing, it makes the lipstick look very sleek and classy.


The star shades from each of the color families


Swatches of the star shades
Left to right: Summer Sunset, Pink Bloom, Papaya Milk, Buff


In general, these lipsticks have a soft, smooth and creamy texture which glides on easily on the lips. However, I think the softness might make it slightly more prone to breakage. Well, one of the lipsticks was 'tilted' slightly after my little girl swatched it on her hand! ;)

When applied on my lips, it glides on smoothly and does not feel sticky nor dry. Though it doesn't make my lips feel dry after a few hours of wear, I would say the moisturizing effect is moderate.

But color-wise, they range from very pigmented to sheer with Summer Sunset being the most pigmented of the 4 shades, followed by Papaya Milk and Buff (moderately pigmented) and Pink Bloom (sheer). The shades are not shimmery, in fact, almost matte, with slight pearl effect.

The staying power of these lipsticks is quite good, averaging between 3-4 hours. Haven't the chance to test out its claim of lasting up to 8 hours! ;) May be one of these days, I will put it to test. One thing I did noticed was even after a rather heavy meal with curry and fried food, the Red (Summer Sunset) which I wore to dinner one night, was still quite visible on my lips though appeared slightly faded - something like I had blotted the red several times after applying it on my lips initially. That's how pigmented Summer Sunset is!

But I would advise that for the more pigmented shades like Summer Sunset and Papaya Milk, it would be better to define the outline of the lips with a liner beforehand to prevent feathering. Well, I don't normally line my lips, because I am lazy! ;) And because I spend most of my time doing eye makeup, I usually don't have much time left for the lips that I would just apply some colored gloss or use one of my many Stila Lip Glaze Sticks.

And good news to those who prefer fragrance-free products, these lippies have almost no scent at all, though my acute olfactory sense did detect a faint sweet scent.


More swatches...............






Lip swatches.........

The color of my bare lips.....a very pale pink


The following swatches on my lips were applied directly from the tube to my lips in 2 coats without blotting, except Pink Bloom where I had to apply about 4-5 coats to get the color to show up on my lips.


Summer Sunset (RC51)
Note the slightly blurred lip contour on my lower lip. I think it would be better if I had lined it first and applied the lipstick with a lip brush.
This shade is a bright red with some orange undertone.
Perfect to be paired with a nude/neutral eye look, or perhaps, for more glam, with a smoky eye look!



Papaya Milk (C51)
This shade is orange-coral with slight pearl. Sometimes, it appeared more orange than in the photo above.
Any suggestion on what kind/color of eye makeup to pair this color with?
(I did an FOTD with this shade....will post it up later. Let's hear from you 1st!)



Buff (B42)
This is a neutral brown shade with beige undertone.
Suitable for everyday wear.



Pink Bloom (PC31)
The sheerest and least pigmented of the 4 shades. I am not sure if other shades from the Pink family are also so sheer.
Has anyone tried other shades from the Pink family? How is the pigmentation of the other shades?


Would be lovely if you could share with us your experience with other colors (if you have tried any colors other than the 4 featured here).


2 comments:

Shilka said...

Buff seems to be such an universal color! :D Thx for the review and swatches =]

Vonvon said...

Hi Shilka,

Yes, Buff is really a versatile color and I think will go quite well with different skin tones.

You are most welcome. Hope it will be of some help to you. :)