Sunday, June 6, 2010

Recovering On A Sunday Night - The Wife Of A Racer

Hello, my dear readers!
How has your weekend been so far?

This is not quite a beauty-related post but I would like to share my experience as the wife of a racer. :D

I have had a crazy hectic week, which highlighted yesterday with a day spent at Sepang F1 Circuit as the wife of a racer! Yes, Hubby was racing in the Sepang 1000KM (S1K) Endurance Race 2010 yesterday and he even called me a WAG! ;)

I hardly post up Hubby's photos but here is one in his racing suit.



Entrance to the pit area. The glass enclosed area was the common area for the team.


Errr......guess I am after all, but I wouldn't stop at only being a WAG. I was also his personal assistant, helping him prepare when it's time for him to go on the tracks, waiting for him to come back and exchange driver, helping him out of his racing gear, handling his sweat-soaked clothing, etc. Was also his masseuse and personal physician, checking him for signs of heat exhaustion and making sure he kept himself well-hydrated, especially after the first round when he came back complaining that his cool suit malfunctioned. I was really getting worried as his face was so red, and his face and body felt really hot.

After finishing round 1 and his cool suite malfunctioned. The other 2 drivers helping him out of the car and removing his helmet.


Preparing for Round 2 while waiting for the pit crew finished fixing and refuelling the car.

Then, during the 2nd round of his driving, we saw on the screen a white car broke down somewhere along the track (but God knows) with thick white smoke hovering the whole car and safety car was deployed, my heart just dropped, fearing for his safety and also wondering what if he couldn't finish the race and how upset he would be. The other driver could see the panic in my eyes and he quickly instructed the Team Manager to radio those guys stationed at the pit wall to make sure that white car is not car #38 (hubby's car). The visual on the screen was blurry as there was the thick white smoke and we couldn't ascertain the car number. Apparently that car engine went busted, but thank God, it wasn't Hubby's car as we saw his car on the screen again when he drove by after that. Huh! What a relief.

I just wanted Hubby to finish his race and come back safe and sound. And earlier, I had seen some drivers whose cars broke down and couldn't finish the race came into the drivers' room all so upset and frustrated. And I didn't want that to happen to him, and of course, most important of all, is his safety!

Me on the observation deck above the media center


Managed to capture a photo of Hubby's car from the observation deck.


It's his first time taking part in a major race, and of course, my first time at Sepang F1 Circuit, but I have been a WAG of a racer for quite a while now. So, that's what I have been busy-ing about for the past week, basically helping him prepare for his race, running around getting stuffs for him while he was at practice at the track or at the workshop doing final touches to their car. His team entered 4 cars for the race and one of their cars, which belonged to the owner/driver won the race! So he is at their celebratory dinner right now, while the exhausted me is recovering at home with our little girl.

Of course, met other WAGs as well. Each team consisted of 3 drivers which took turns driving for about 1 hour 15 minutes each. In between waiting for our husbands/boyfriends to come back and exchange drivers, what else did we, the WAGs, do?? Hung out and chatted, of course! Sepang was in the middle of nowhere and no one wanted to drive out to some nearest shopping mall which I don't even know which one....so we just hung out, and had a great time with the wife and girlfriend of the other 2 drivers in Hubby's team. Guess we are not the typical WAGs, but who needed shopping when the excitement, fun and sometimes, even tension from the race was more than enough to keep our adrenaline rushing and hyper till almost midnight? The race ended by 9PM, but we finally left Sepang close to midnight!


Some photos of me!!!





Having a feel of the race car, and even tried revving up the engine! :D



Face Of The Day


The look I wore to Sepang yesterday

Minimal makeup with a thick layer of Kiehl's UV50 sunscreen, but didn't feel like I have sunscreen on, and no white cast. I didn't even get a tan!

After sunscreen, I just put on Smashbox Photo Finish Primer without foundation.
Then swiped my whole face with Guerlain Meteorites.
Did some shading with Clinique Enchanted Bronze blush.
I Nuovi D36 Lollipop blush on my cheeks.
Maybelline Color Sensational Moisture Extreme Lip Color in Pink Bloom.

For the eyes, Stila Kitten eyeshadow on the lids and lightly blend up to the brow. Stila Automatic Brow Definer in Coffee for the brows. Tsuya-Tsuya Gel Eye Liner in Cedar Brown for lining the eyes and it stayed put till midnight! No mascara, as I was worried the heat would just smudge the most stubborn of any smudge-proof or water-proof mascara.


10 comments:

Tracy said...

I can imagine your anxiety... my heart would stop if something could possibly happen with an engine or a crash.
So ur hubby races as a hobby? That's pretty cool.

Sherry said...

wow.. he's cool lol.. so your home got sports car also?

so fast sunday over soon.

gio said...

Your hubby's a racer? That's cool. You two look so lovely together.

That must have been so scary! I'm glad it wasn't your husband and that he's ok.

Camie said...

woah, being behind those wheel is so cool..

Vonvon said...

Tracy, yes, he races as a hobby. But this was his major race.

Vonvon said...

Thanks, Sherry. No la......the race car belongs to another driver in his team. ;)

Vonvon said...

Yes, gio, he is a racer. :) Thank you.

Yea, it was a bit nerve-wrecking initially, but I had to keep calm, and say my prayers.

Vonvon said...

Hi Camie,

Yea, it's cool, but at the same time, the seat was rather hard and uncomfortable. ;P

Witoxicity said...

That's so cool to have a hubby racing on the side. Very glamorous! And you got to play the dutiful assistant (also glamorous, I might add). The day sounded like so much fun!

Vonvon said...

Witoxicity, yes, it was a fun day and new experience for me indeed.

As for the glamorous side, looking back now, I could be proud of him for finishing the race and myself for being able to help him out and give him my support.

But on race day, by the pit, watching his car on the screen, glamor was the last thing on my mind. :)