Thursday, June 10, 2010

Review: Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange(TM) Body Butter

I got the Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange(TM) Body Butter a while ago in a 5oz. (148ml) tube from Sephora. It was on offer for USD5 at that time, and Hubby decided to get it. It also comes in an 8oz. (236ml) jar and tube(as seen in Sephora site).

Sadly, we don't have this brand here in Malaysia. But we can always hope that it will come here one day what more with Sephora opening in the heart of Kuala Lumpur soon.


Anyways, let's start with some words on this brand first, since it's a new brand to me, and I believe, to many of you too.

Pacifica is founded by Brook Harvey-Taylor and Billy Taylor. Brook is the lead perfumer of Pacifica who *had been keenly tuned in to smells since her childhood, when she mixed spices in pots on the kitchen floor. In high school, deeply moved by a reading of Tim Robbins'
Jitterbug Perfume, she began blending her own fragrances and then studied aromatherapy during college. Though her blends were true perfumes intended for wear on the body, she and Billy initially put their seven favorites into candles. Instinctively, they knew this would be an easier way into the world of fragrance than to try to launch perfumes right off the bat. In 1996, on a lark, they took their candles to a trade show and orders were off the charts. They set up a candle factory the very next week and set out on their fragrant journey.

*Source: Sephora website and Pacifica website

Pacifica products are formulated WITHOUT parabens, sulfates, synthetic dyes, petrochemicals, phthalates, GMOs, triclosan, and is 100% vegan with no animal testing.



Now, let's get on to the product that I am going to review today.

Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange(TM) Body Butter

Product Description:
A rich, luxuriously moisturizing Body Butter that's full of skin-loving naturals and infused with Pacifica's Tuscan Blood Orange, a delectable blend of juicy and spicy Blood Orange, subtle strawberry and raspberry notes, and fleshy mandarin.





Intensely moisturizing, protective, and full of skin-loving naturals, this Body Butter melts beautifully into skin providing rich, long-lasting hydration. Each is infused with one of Pacifica's signature fragrance blends, which contain natural and essential oils. Free of sulfates, mineral oils, parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol, and artificial colors and 100% vegan with no animal testing.

Active Ingredients:
-Mango Butter: Derived from mango kernels; moisturizes and promotes cell rejuvenation.

-Shea Butter: Derived from the karite fruit; heals, soothes, protects.
-Safflower Oil: Derived from safflower seeds; an emollient high in oleic acid, nourishes, protects and firms.
-Chamomile Extract: Derived from the flower; soothing, anti-inflammatory.


Ingredient list


Vonvon says....
This body butter has a moderately light and smooth texture - it's not as thick and heavy as some body butters I have used before, but does not feel like a lotion either. It's somewhere in between, which I feel is quite good in our hot and humid tropical climate. Some body butters may be too rich and heavy for such climate and would leave a sticky layer on the skin.

Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Body Butter
Inset: texture of the product


The pale yellow-colored body butter applies and spreads easily on the skin, and I notice that as I rub it in, its texture thins out and become 'more watery and runny'. Perhaps, it's due to the body heat that melts the butter and increases its rate of absorption into the skin. Because after its application, the butter seems to absorb completely into my skin, leaving no oily nor greasy feel on it, but soft and smooth skin.

To test its moisturizing power, I apply the body butter onto my whole body after shower, but paying more attention to the skin on my feet which tends to be dryer and rough, and the dryness seems to be less. After using it on my feet daily for about a week, the roughness smoothens out, and skin becomes softer. Applied after my bedtime shower, and as I sleep in an air-conditioned room, I would wake up the next morning with soft and well-moisturized skin with a whiff of its sweet fragrance.

And yes, what I like most about this body butter is its wonderful heavenly scent that I could even smell without having to flip open its cap. It's a rich, slightly sweet and tangy fragrance which is not overpowering but refreshing enough to perk up your senses whenever you need a boost to your day, especially so for me, right now, at this moment, I am having a late afternoon slump in my energy level! :D I just applied a little on the back of my hands and inhaled deeply the aroma and it definitely helps to awaken me up!

The scent would linger on my skin throughout the day, but just a faint hint of sweetness plus tanginess.

This is definitely a keeper and I am looking forward to try out the Body Wash, Body Lotion(just for comparison), spray and solid perfumes, even candles from the Tuscan Blood Orange range and many other ranges of scents from this brand. Other scents include Malibu Lemon Blossom, French Lilac, Brazilian Mango Grapefruit and many more.


10 comments:

☆Anastacia☆ said...

I wish we have sephora store over here too :S
Sounds of the product so nice! I like the same textures as you :D

Witoxicity said...

You make this body butter sound soooo divine! And, of course, it must be. I thought the story behind the brand was very interesting too. I must keep this brand in mind! :)

gio said...

I wish this were available here too. I love body betters and this one seems so moisturizing and interesting.

Vonvon said...

Sephora....we all love Sephora, don't we, Anastacia?

Glad we share the same opinion of the body moisturizer texture that we like. :)

Vonvon said...

Thanks, Witoxicity.

Yes, there are more interesting details on the founders in their site. I just took some from it. I also like the fact that they are without so many non-skin-friendly ingredients.

Vonvon said...

Gio, the scent is one of a kind. :)

brookeknowsbeauty said...

Truly amazing product! I use it every night before I go to sleep and the scent in fabulous!! An all time fave!!

Vonvon said...

Hello Brooke,

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting.

And I happened to use it after shower at night too. Also using it throughout the day. Love the scent!

Regime yo-yo said...

I bought the shower gel and the body butter on a trip to NY city. Can't wait to try them after reading your review.

Vonvon said...

Hi Regime yo-yo,

Thanks for dropping by and the comment. I haven't tried the shower gel. I am sure the 2 combined would be even more heavenly! Enjoy your products.