Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Review: TheBalm Balms Away The Makeup Break-Up - By The Intrepid Beauty

The Intrepid Beauty reviews theBalm Balms Away makeup remover, called The Makeup Break-Up....... OK, theBalm's products are always given fancy names....;)

********************************************************





The packaging for this product is a very vintage looking tin, reminiscent of something from the 1940s or 1950s. I'd only ever used liquid eye makeup removers prior to this product which looks like Vaseline. I was initially doubtful that it could remove eye makeup as effectively as liquid eye makeup removers.







As per the directions on the reverse of the tin, one is supposed to apply a dollop onto closed eye. Keeping the eye closed, move the product in circular motion allowing makeup to breakup for 30 seconds. Then wipe away with a tissue. I didn't follow the directions exactly since I didn't like to use my fingers to rub my closed eye. I used a spatula to scoop out a teeny bit of the product (the size of a 10 sen coin) on to a cotton pad and rubbed it gently against my eye for about 20 seconds since I don't have the patience to wait 30 seconds and I reckoned 20 seconds was good enough. I used the reverse of the cotton pad to repeat the same action.

It felt very soft against my eye, much softer than liquid eye makeup removers where I sometimes feel my skin being pulled. I used this product to remove every trace of the very difficult to remove 'Two Timer' (The Balm) mascara. Any eye makeup remover that doesn't leave any residue of 'Two Timer' is a winner as I haven't yet met a liquid eye makeup remover that can eradicate all traces of 'Two Timer' in one try.

I'd initially thought the product would make my eye area feel greasy but au contraire, all it did was leave the eye area feeling soft. I recommend Balms Away for hard to remove eye makeup but probably not everyone would be a fan of having to dip their fingers in the product or fiddling with a spatula.

For RM68, there's a lot of product in the tin (64g) so it does stretch the RM.


The Intrepid Beauty


3 comments:

Blair said...

Hello!

Do you think it'd work against hard to remove Japanese makeup, Majolica Majorca's mascaras and Kate liners?

gio said...

Thanks for the review. This is an interesting products and it's good to know it removes makeup well. I'm not too keen on having to dip my finger in the pot though.

TIB said...

Blair : I don't have Majolica mascaras and Kate liners but I've used it to remove the smudge-proof and waterproof Maybelline Creamy Gel Eyeliner as well as Anna Sui mascara and no problem, all comes off. The only thing is you need to be patient and massage the product gently on to the eyelids. It's a good product in that it won't sting your eyes like other eye makeup removers I've used.

Gio : Most welcome, it is an interesting and efficacious product for sure.