Saturday, September 25, 2010

Reviews: DoshaCare Skincare - By The Intrepid Beauty

Caution! This is a very long and detailed post on DoshaCare products prepared by The Intrepid Beauty, which is the sequel to the one she had written earlier. But since today is Saturday, I am sure you will be able to find some time during the weekend to slowly go through and digest the post with a wealth of info on Ayurvedic skincare. You can bookmark this page to come back to. ;)

******************************************************

It was quite a challenge testing just about all the DoshaCare products available in Malaysia
now as I had to get through 13 of them in a relatively short period of time (approximately 6 days).
However, it was also an interesting experience as I've never tried any organic skincare
with Ayurvedic influences until now.

Just to recap, there are 4 ranges of DoshaCare, namely:

a) VATA for Dry and Dehydrated Skin

b) PITTA for Normal and Sensitive Skin

c) KAPHA for Oily and Congested Skin

d) SAKALA for All Skin Types


When I took the Dosha Skin Quiz on www.doshacare.com, the results were that my primary Dosha is Vata while my secondary Dosha is Pitta.

The skincare prescribed for my
morning/night ritual is:
a) VATA Cleanser & Moisturizer

b) PITTA or VATA Elixir


The above is supplemented by the following:
Weekly ritual: SAKALA Exfoliant 1-2x a week
VATA or PITTA Masque 2-3x a week


I tried the KAPHA range products too for the purposes of this review due to time constraints and since the only friend I know who has oily skin is an hour's flight away.

Most of the products come in pump bottles which lock when you twist the pump so that there
are no accidental spillages especially when they are in your luggage. The Elixirs and Moisturizers dispense just enough product in one pump for applying to the entire face.


VATA range

General Comments: Due to the potent mix of spices in this range, there is quite a strong scent which not everyone can accept but if you have no problems with Origins Dr Andrew Weil Plantidote products, you'll most likely be okay with the VATA products. The VATA range scent is stronger than Plantidote though. Initially, I was also not a fan of Plantidote's scent but after multiple facials using Plantidote products, I was more accepting and so I have no issues with the VATA range's scent. This is my favourite range of the 4 which I guess is appropriate given that VATA is my primary Dosha.

Cleansing Cream 125ml/RM204


Contains Turmeric, Reishi Mushroom, Green Tea and Licorice and is very creamy. I use 3-4 pumps depending on how much make-up I've got on and massage the product all over my face, adding a few drops of water as I go along. It removes every trace of make-up and leaves my skin feeling comfortable and moisturized. Does leave a strong scent of spices on the face.

Hydrating Masque 120ml/RM236
A very lovely creamy consistency, it contains Neem, Rose Hip, Fenugreek, Bamboo and Wild Yam Extract. I leave it on for 10 minutes and my skin absorbs it until there is barely any trace of the product. Makes my skin extremely soft and smooth.

Hydrating Moisturizer 50ml/RM279

One of the richest moisturizers I've ever tried, only a little is required. I just need one pump for
my entire face as it's highly concentrated. This contains Neem, Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Avocado, Cabbage and Rose Hip.

Hydrating Elixir 30ml/RM343



This serum with its gel texture is amazing, I love it as just like the Moisturizer above, I only need one pump for instant and absolute hydration. My skin feels perked up and hydrated for hours afterwards with the Elixir and Moisturizer on. Contains Neem, Tulsi, Sandalwood, Amla, Turmeric and Ashwaganda.


PITTA range
The only product available in this range at present is the Cleansing Bath 125ml/RM204.


It's like a shower gel but of course, not your average drugstore type as there isn't any artificial fragrance. This is the Real McCoy of shower gels containing Aloe Vera, Lavender, Neem and Turmeric. Too bad there was only enough in the sample for one use. With such a pleasant scent, I'd have used it everyday.


KAPHA range
General Comments: As this range is formulated for oily skins, one can expect the consistency
and texture of the products to be lighter than products in the VATA range. Perhaps it's the combination of herbs/spices in this range that produces a much stronger scent than products in DoshaCare's other ranges. As with Chinese medicines, what's good for your body need not necessarily taste good, so does the same principle apply here in that what's good for your skin may not necessarily smell great.

Cleansing Gel 125ml/RM204



Doubles as a shave gel for men, it's said to remove excess oils, refine skin texture, refresh and exfoliate congested pores. Contains Tea Tree Oil, Lemon, Sugar Cane & Salicylic Acid together with Amla, Eucalyptus, Green Tea and Neem. I used this product just once and it's just as effective (as the VATA Cleansing Cream) in removing make-up. The light, translucent texture is perfect for oily skins.

Detoxifying Masque 120ml/RM236


For restoring balance and decongesting skin, it contains plant oils and extracts such as Tulsi, Neem, Ashwagandha, Fenugreek and Coconut. It's a clay mask which hardens but doesn't harden until I can feel my skin tightening. After 10 minutes, I wiped it off but I didn't see elimination of blackheads (not that it claims to do that). As my skin isn't in need of decongestion other than the perennial blackhead problem, I can't exactly vouch for decongestion of blocked pores.

Detoxifying Elixir 30ml/RM343



This is the only product out of all the products listed here that I couldn't bring myself to apply on my face. The medicinal scent was so strong and overwhelming. I guess Tulsi, Bhrigraj, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginger and Tomato do not make for a scentworthy product.


SAKALA Range
General Comments: This range complements the other ranges so whatever your skin type or
Dosha, anyone can use the products in the SAKALA range. For example, the Exfoliant is recommended to be used 2-3x a week whereas the Eye and Neck Balm, Environmental Shield and Sunscreen SPF 28 can be used on a daily basis. I liked the scent of the Exfoliant the most out of all the products in this range.

Exfoliant 120ml/RM204



It has very fine granules which are gentle on the skin, I liked the feel of this exfoliant quite a lot. The result is a softer, smoother and more radiant complexion. It contains Volcanic Pumice, Gotu Kola & Guggula. Gotu Kola is probably better known as Centella Asiatica which has blood cleansing properties to treat skin conditions.

Ama Release Tonic 50ml/RM193



Apparently, this Tonic opens up the pores for exfoliation the next day (yes, you read that right, the next day). It looks like a toner but it is nothing like a toner. It's an exfoliant which purges toxins from the skin. One pump is sufficient for applying to the entire face, I just pat the product on to my skin followed by my usual skincare routine. I can't say if it really helped in exfoliating since I've only used it once and didn't see any difference. It contains Ginger, Lime and Salicylic Acid.

Eye and Neck Balm 15ml/RM247



It's very thick and creamy, I have used it more on my neck than my eye area as I find it too rich for the eye area. It does plump up the lines around my neck but I can't speak for its long terms benefits. It has Arginine, Green Tea, Neem, Capuacu & Fenugreek.

Environmental Shield 125ml/RM172



Formulated to neutralize the effects of tobacco, smoke, smog and free radicals, it contains Neem, Tulsi, Sandalwood, Khus Root and Turmeric. I'd have preferred a finer mist to come from one pump, the spritz was just too strong for my liking.

Sunscreen SPF 28 50ml/RM172



I've no issues with this sunscreen as it absorbed well into my skin but I'd have liked to see "+++" after "SPF 28". It has Macadamia Nut, Shikakai, Neem and Aloe Vera.




The Intrepid Beauty

3 comments:

PuiSee said...

I am trying this DoschaCare's Sunscreen Sakala lotion ;)

Anonymous said...

may i know where to get all these products? thank you.

Vonvon said...

It used to be carried in TNS but I don't know if they still carry them.