Sunday, January 16, 2011

Avocado Oil vs. Olive Oil

Good morning, my dear readers!

I have been 'away' for only a few days, and I am missing blogging so much already.

Well, for a change, today's post will be about oils, yes, the comparison between Avocado Oil and Olive Oil. If you remember and had read, in the very first post of 2011, I did mentioned about new direction and theme for my blog. Well, basically, in 2011 and beyond for as long as I am blogging, I will widen the repertoire of my blog, to include more posts on health (which is my professional training - health care and medicine to be exact), food, traveling, music and the arts, fashion and lifestyle. It's Vonvon's Interests, and this blog was started 2 years ago for me to write about my wide range of interests, which of course, includes beauty - makeup and skincare.


That said, the following article was written and given to me by a very thoughtful friend after I wrote about Avado Organics few days ago. This is just a comparison post for your information.


Avocado Oil vs. Olive Oil


The Avocado, while used by the Aztecs for many years, is only now being recognised for its extraordinary health benefits. Compare this to Olive Oil which has a well documented history going back to the earliest times in human memory.

Source of the image


Avocado oil is pressed from the soft flesh surrounding the seed or the pit of the avocado, while olive oil is pressed from the olive itself. Due to its long history and ingrained cultural acceptance Olive oil has long been promoted as one of the healthiest oils on the market. While it is true olive oil has many health benefits, and outweighs most of the oils available, Avocado Oil is way out front in terms of being the healthier option.



Source of the image



The Similarities of Avocado and Olive Oils


It is amazing to discover the number of similarities between these two oils. Both are high in monounsaturated fats, vitamin E and omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. The fatty acids found in these oils both help to reduce cholesterol, triglycerides, high blood pressure and help to prevent many diseases.


Both are high in antioxidants, which help to get rid of harmful free radicals which cause wrinkles and the overall aging of the body. Use them in your homemade lotions, shampoos and soaps to help your skin and hair looking their very best.


Both oils are cold pressed, and/or refined, and both appear darker in their most natural state. With each refining process they go through, they lose some of their valuable nutrients and colour. However the lighter colours are cheaper for purchasing and are more suitable for cooking, and the darker colours are great in salads and dressings.



So Which Oil is Healthier?


Even though olive oil is high in valuable nutrients, avocado oil exceeds those nutrients in almost all areas. It has a much higher concentration of monounsaturated fats. Because of this it is able to penetrate deeper into the skin making it an ideal base for use in skin and massage lotions. Its healing and antibacterial properties are also higher as well as the ability to fight against cancer and other diseases.


Avocado oil acts as a carbohydrate and contains proteins which olive oil does not. Carbohydrates are essential as they are the main source of energy for the body.


Choose refined avocado oil for your cooking and baking because it has a much higher smoking point than olive oil. (The smoking point is the degree to which you can heat the oil before it begins to burn and smoke.) Avocado oil, depending on how refined it is, will not burn before it reaches a high temperature, somewhere between 490 degrees F (approx. 254 degrees Celcius) and 520 degrees F (approx. 271 degrees Celcius). Olive oil, on the other hand, will burn at 410 degrees F (210 degrees Celcius). Once the oil begins to smoke it creates free radicals which are very harmful to your health and are a major cause of many diseases.


Keep in mind cold press avocado oil does not have such a high smoke point, so use it in all your salads and salad dressings as it contains the most nutrients.


Avocado Oil in Skin Care


Last but not least, avocado oil has the ability to naturally block the harmful rays of the sun better than any other oil available.





And now my question is...if I were to decide to get a bottle of Avocado Oil, where can I find it in Malaysia?

Has anyone of you tried Avocado oil for cooking, or avocado-based beauty products?


Have a lovely day!


* The images were found randomly from Google and linkbacks have been included.

6 comments:

Paris B said...

Interestingly, I was keeping a look out for Avocado oil too recently. Spotted it at Isetan supermarket at Lot 10 and I think Cold Storage.

nicole said...

This is so interesting! I love this kind of post :) Always want to try out Avocado but they say when you are on diet avoid Avocado and Durian :( So I have been avoiding these two because they are high on fat :(

Vonvon said...

Thank you for sharing, Paris. I will drop by one of these days to check it out.

Vonvon said...

Thank you, Nicole! I am glad you find it interesting.

And thanks for the feedback too. I will try to write similar posts like this in future.

Yes, Avocado and Durian are high caloric fruits.

mrsdjones said...

Hi Vonvon,
Thanks so much for sharing. I am not aware of Avocado oils until I saw your post. I have been using olive oil for my salads and might give avocado oil a try. I love avocado in guacamole, so delicious!

Vonvon said...

Hi Mrsdjones,

You are most welcome.

I love guacamole too. I used olive oil and flaxseed oil for preparing my girl's food when she was younger, and I was trying hard to get her to eat her avocados and she refused. If only I had found avocado oil then, I could have given her the goodness of avocado via its oil.