Monday, April 25, 2011

A-Blush-A-Day, No. 1: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish - By Candlelight - Swatches & Review

As I have posted at the end of last week, I was inspired by a blogger, Jennifer, to do this A-Blush-A-Day project. Actually, for me, I think I should do something like An-Eyeshadow/palette-A-Day kind of project (being so crazy over eyeshadows and palettes), and as I remember, I had planned to do this some time back. But somehow, all the procrastination got the better of me, plus so many things which have happened recently just made me slack a bit from blogging. Well, at least, I did some EOTD Marathons last year, which in a way, helped me to use some of the eyeshadows and palettes from my stash. I know I haven't done one in a long, long time. I will try to do one when I have more time to myself (God knows when will that be? *rolls eyes*). I will try to find the time....hopefully.

OK, back to this
A-Blush-A-Day project. Basically, everyday, I will feature a blush from my collection (I have to stress again that I didn't realise that I would have so many blushes in my current stash), for the next 30 days. But knowing me, I wouldn't call each post as Day 1, Day 2 and so on, as on some days, I may not be posting about a blush (for so many reasons I can't think of, right now ;) ). So I would just name each post by No.1, No. 2, etc. And not every item is exactly a blush. So, really I don't have exactly 30 blushes in my stash. Some are bronzers, stains, MAC Mineralize Skinfinishes, etc. which I also use as blushes sometimes, may be often, too.

Anyways, my main objective of doing this is to try to fully utilise the makeup products that I have, especially those that are usually at the bottom-most of my drawers. It's not that I don't like them, but I am just so used to using the stuffs that are ON my dresser, that I got lazy to dig out other stuffs IN the drawers to use.

OK, let's start this project with MAC
By Candlelight Mineralize Skinfinish.


*******************************************

Some words on MAC Mineralize Skinfinish (MSF)..............
From the MAC website: A luxurious velvet-soft powder with high-frost metallic finish. Smoothes on: adds buffed-up highlights to cheeks, or an overall ultra-deluxe polish to the face.

So, basically it's a powder in baked form, and can be used for different makeup purposes. Personally, I have used MAC MSF (particularly By Candlelight) as a highlighter, a blush, an eyeshadow, highlight for under the brow, and also as an allover face powder(to set my foundation or BB Cream). SometimesQuite often, I also use it on its own on top of my sunblock, just as a face powder, on my super-lazy no-makeup days! Some MSFs, especially the more bronzy/brown ones, can be used as a bronzer too. But I don't think I own a MSF in that kind of shade. I do use By Candlelight for light contouring. What a multi-tasking product, isn't it? :)

Most of the MSFs, unfortunately, are limited edition. So, I will have to apologise for reviewing something that is/may not be available anymore. But there is always a chance that MAC will repromote them in future collections.


MAC By Candlelight Mineralize Skinfinish
(photo above taken under indoor yellow lighting)


MAC By Candlelight Mineralize Skinfinish
(photos above and below, taken under natural daylight)




This By Candlelight MSF which I purchased was from MAC In The Groove collection (July '10), but if I am not mistaken, Warm & Cozy Collection (January '10) had it too. However, I read somewhere (can't recall at the moment) that there was a slight difference in tone between the one from In The Groove and the one from Warm & Cozy.

So, why do I choose By Candlelight as the first one to be featured in this project?
That's because I have been using it (almost) every time I put on my makeup since I bought it in July last year when it came out with In The Groove collection. And I use it in various ways as have been mentioned above (in bold letters).

Let's move on to By Candlelight itself......why is this baby my go-to for almost everything?
It is a soft beige shade with pink undertone and some fine gold veining. The gold veining in mine (pictured above) is not so visible. It has some metallic, but more gilded finish. Its texture is soft, and swatches smoothly, with excellent pigmentation. It imparts a sheen when applied on my cheeks with a pink glow. Once on my cheeks, it lasts for hours without much fading. I would say I get at least 5-6 hours of wear each time, but then, that's usually how long I have my makeup on an ordinary day. Even on those days that I had my makeup longer than that, at the end of the day, I could still see some residual shimmer, and glow.

As an allover face powder or to set my foundation/BB Cream, I use a big powder brush (in my case, Stila brush #8) to apply it. I think you can use a duo fibre brush too, but I haven't tried with that kind of brush.

While as a blush, I just use a small blush brush to apply it, using a very light hand and slowly build it up. Once, I applied too much and boy, was it a pain to blend it out, as it made my cheeks look so shiny and artificial. Not too mention, how it 'highlights' some of my pores! I had to use a makeup wipe to wipe my cheeks lightly before re-applying.

If I were to use it as an eyeshadow, more like a wash of shimmer on my lids, I would use an eyeshadow brush, of course.

Anyways, we are talking about it as a blush here.

OK, just FYI, I often use By Candlelight as an allover powder, on top of my foundation/BB Cream, and most of the time, I would receive compliments from friends and strangers, on how my skin is glowing.


Swatches of MAC By Candlelight on my arm (for your reference, I am NC25).
Left: Swatch made indoor under yellow lighting

Right: Swatch made under natural daylight



On my cheeks (under various lighting and on different days)



The 2 photos above were taken under natural daylight but on a cloudy day.
It gives a light bronzy glow with pink undertone. They were taken some time back.



These 2 photos(above and below) are the latest ones.
Taken under natural daylight (indoor, by the window).





This retails for RM115 (9g). But some other MSFs I have are 10g. I will mention it when it's their turn to be featured. Either way, you get quite a lot of product. And despite having used it so often, mine still has the dome shape and not any sign of dip yet.



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

omg it looks gorgeous on u! now i wish i own one MAC MSF!!!!

Vonvon said...

Thank you, Jennifer! Do try to get your hands on one. It's an amazing multi-tasking product!