Friday, April 29, 2011

A-Blush-A-Day, No. 5: Burberry Light Glow Natural Blush Earthy Blush No. 7 - Swatches & Review

Today, on Day 5 of A-Blush-A-Day project, I will show you something more high-end. And since today is also the Royal Wedding, which I have been watching since morning, and updating periodically on my Facebook page ;), let's speak about a British brand, Burberry! Yes, the blush I am reviewing today is Burberry Light Glow Natural Blush Earthy Blush No. 7, which is also part of the Burberry Beauty Spring/Summer 2011.


Burberry Light Glow Natural Blush Earthy Blush No. 7


(Again, it's Saturday early morning in Malaysia and the Far East, but it's just past 9PM over here on Friday. And I am still hoping to catch a glimpse of what Catherine Middleton or now, Duchess of Cambridge, is wearing to the dinner party at the Buckingham Palace. I couldn't earlier, as I was preparing dinner for my own HRHs ;) and now multi-tasking, trying to get this post up as soon as I can while trying to get my Princess to bed!)



Let's take a look at the packaging first. If you have followed this A-Blush-A-Day series for the past few days, you'll notice that I have reviewed mostly the blush itself, then the swatches and not paying much attention to the packaging except may be the Anna Sui blush which I reviewed on Thursday, etc. OK, I know it's not the most ideal reviews I had written, but I wanted to pay more attention to the product(s) per se, and partly also because of the time factor. I have quite limited time to blog recently and at the same time, I still have my moments of teary outbursts because of my Dad, and I also WANT to go back to Malaysia so badly!

Well, that's quite a bit of digression.

I think the packaging of Burberry Beauty makeup products deserve a mention, as it is relatively new in the market, what more in Malaysia, which was just launched at the end of January this year, and of course, the packaging incorporates the iconic lines of the Burberry check and architectural columns.

The blush comes housed in a black velvet pouch which has the Burberry check design (pic above), and the casing is custom designed with an innovative soft magnetic closure.



The surface of the casing is highly-reflective that it makes quite a bit of a problem to photograph without having to see the reflection of my camera or even myself! But that said, it is a sleek, simple yet elegant metallic casing, again, with the iconic lines of the Burberry check.
And it feels quite weighty too.



This is yet another very natural-looking blush.

Actually, when I first saw this, I was like.... WHAT?! You called that a blush? That looks more like some face powder to me! How am I going to wear it as a blush if it looks almost the same as my skin tone. OK, may be I am slightly more yellow(undertone). ;)

Anyways, very soon, I discovered the 'magic' behind this Earthy Blush shade.

On the pan, it looks, well, as you can see in the photo above, like the colour of some earthy clay or like some very clean white-beige sand. Again, I have to mention that I really like the Burberry check pattern embossed onto the surface of the blush. (I know I am very cheong hei = long-winded)

It comes with a brush which is very well-made, and the bristles feel soft. I have been using the brush provided to apply this blush since I started using it - very convenient! And it picks up just the right amount of product and deposits the blush onto my cheeks easily.

The blush has a soft and silky smooth texture with good pigmentation, and the intensity of the shade can be built up easily. At the same time, it's difficult to go overboard with such kind of shade even if you were to 'overdose' on it, that is using a heavy hand when applying it. Well, the most you would get, in my opinion, would be a very tanned look (for someone NC25 like me). I would say this blush has a matte finish.




One swipe of my finger on the blush picks up a fairly good amount of product.


Swatches of Burberry Light Glow Natural Blush Earthy Blush No. 7
Left: 1 swipe of the blush and swatched onto my inner forearm
Right: Several swipes of the blush and blended onto my inner forearm

It is a very light brown/beige shade with a matte finish.


So, how do you think it would look like on my cheeks?



On my cheeks


In the look above, my face wasn't well-prepped as I had just applied some compact powder onto my face. But you can see a slight pale brownish tint on my cheekbone area.


In the photos above and below(different lighting), I had applied Clinique Age Defense BB Cream SPF30/PA+++ onto my face. FYI, on my eyes, was just a wash of Korres Shimmering eyeshadow in 24S Gold.

Now can you see the rosy glow on my cheeks? The pink rosy glow is more prominent in the photo above that was taken indoor by the window on a sunny day. And this was what I meant by 'magic' earlier. It looked plain beige on the pan but on my cheeks, it gave a warm rosy glow to my face.

The photo below was taken around the same time I took the photo above, but I was facing the window directly and the glare from the sun outside sort of washed out the colours. But you can still see the radiance as though I was using a bronzer.





*Some application tips taken from their Press Release
Apply Burberry natural blush on the hollow of your cheek to slim face or apply it at the top of the cheek to lift the face.

I think because of its shade, this blush can also be used for some light contouring. I will try to do it in another post.




This retails for RM140 (7g), £29.00 in the UK, and is not limited edition, though it is part of the Burberry Spring Summer 2011 Collection. And some may feel that it's rather pricey, I think it's a fair price considering the amount of product, how well-made the packaging is, and it's Burberry after all! And another good thing to note is there is almost no mark-up in pricing at all, taking into account the current exchange rate of £1~RM4.90 (approximately, at the time of writing).



*This product is part of the goodie bag I received at the Burberry Bloggers' Party in Malaysia in March 2011.





If you are new to my blog, this is the 5th post of A-Blush-A-Day project. Basically, I will feature one blush a day for 30 days. If you have missed the previous posts, here you are.
Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4


P.s. Please take a peek at what the brain behind this A-Blush-A-Day project, Jennifer, Elaine, and other bloggers who participated are up to with their blush collections.


8 comments:

Blair said...

#7 is too earthy for me.. I prefer something more pink. But OMG at the packaging and everything, a worthy splurge indeed!

Jess said...

I so wanna pick up a Burberry blush! Is it a good or bad thing Burberry Cosmetics not available over here yet? :)

Jennifer said...

it looks very beige/tan! it must have cost a bomb :)

Jennifer said...

Hi Vonvon!

thanks for your link referral in your first blush post. I just amended my post intro and each of the post will have a link to ur blog too! xoxo

Jennifer said...

lol u're QUICK to notice that change! i did it like 30 minutes ago and there you are :D

Vonvon said...

Blair, that was what I thought too, but in the end, I am glad I managed to make it work.

Vonvon said...

Jess, good for your pocket at least! :)
But for your lemming and such, that's pretty bad, isn't it? ;)

Vonvon said...

Jennifer, yes, quite beige, perhaps it can work as a highlighter too. Hmmm, didn't think of that earlier, hence didn't try it.

You are most welcome. Of course I have to credit you for the idea. :)

And thank you so much for adding my blog link to every of your post. Really appreciate that you took the time to amend the previous posts too. I added a footnote to my latest no. 6 post, linking to your blog, and will add that to my future posts on the ABAD project. I am so sorry, but I really don't have the time to edit previous posts of mine at the moment. As it is, now is almost 2am.....

Btw, I also added your blog link to the side bar.