Tuesday, May 31, 2011

NARS Makeover @ Space NK

Last Wednesday I was booked for a makeover with Becky, NARS National Makeup Artist for the UK. Since I had a friend from Canada visiting, I decided to bring her shopping with me then we headed to Space NK for the makeover. Becky was kind enough to do makeovers for us both, though it meant that my makeover time had to be shortened. At least, we both got really pretty makeovers using some of NARS Summer 2011 products. :)

Becky used Dogon Duo Eyeshadow for my friend.

While I requested Becky to try out Exotic Dance Duo Eyeshadow on my eyes (since I already had Dogon and Cap Ferrat), and Carthage lipstick for my lips. Both are from NARS Summer 2011 collection which I have not yet owned, though I have placed an order for Carthage at ASOS which is currently having 20% off and free shipping! :D

So here are the photos of the look Becky created for me using NARS Exotic Dance Duo Eyeshadow, Carthage lipstick and a combination of Deep Throat and Desire blushes.




Eyes:
NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
Exotic Dance Duo Eyeshadow (shimmer white on the inner corner of the eye, inner lid and below the brow; antique gold on the lid; layer with Coconut Grove single eyeshadow over the antique gold on the outer corner for definition)
Blackmoon eyeliner
Mascara (I don't remember which one)


Lips:
Papua lip liner
Pure Matte Lipstick in Carthage


Face and cheeks:
NARS Pore Refining Primer oil-free
Fiji Sheer Glow Foundation

Deep Throat blush and layered on top with Desire blush
Laguna Multiple to sculpt/contour




More photos...........








My thoughts on the look and some of the products used:

- The look is simple and fresh which is quite neutral overall, except for the pop of pink on the lips with Carthage lipstick.
- Carthage lipstick is matte but does not dry out my lips. It has very good staying power.
Other than the last photo above which was taken right after the makeover, the other photos were taken after eating and the colour was still quite intact.
- NARS Pore Refining Primer is silicone-free EDIT: NO WAY! I just checked its ingredient list, plenty of -cones! It does its job pretty well. Might consider getting them once I am done with all my current makeup primers, namely MAC Prep+Prime Skin Base and a couple of RMK liquid and cream makeup bases.
- I like the way the makeup artist layered Desire (a matte candy pink shade) blush on top of Deep Throat. It gives a flush of pink on my cheeks without stealing the limelight away from Carthage! ;)
- And finally, Exotic Dance Duo Eyeshadow - very pretty, but it's not something that I can't find dupes of from my stash. Perhaps not exactly the same colours, but I have some shimmery white eyeshadows and plenty of antique gold/golden brown eyeshadows from my stash. As for Coconut Grove (a matte dark brown), I have a matte dark brown eyeshadow from Shu Uemura which was purchased on impulse and has never been used. Actually, the eye look seems quite familiar, as I am sure I had done similar eye look before using gold and brown eyeshadows.
I have to say that the makeup artist cleverly blended Coconut Grove onto the antique gold shade of Exotic Dance, toning down the shimmery effect and giving it more of a sheen (not photographed well).


I would like to hear your thoughts and comments too. :)

6 comments:

gio said...

I love it, it's a beautiful and fresh look. The lip color is gorgeous!

Jennifer said...

blush looks lovely on you! i wanna get Deep Throat too!

productdoctor said...

Looks great on you, the lipcolor is gorgeous! The NARS primer is silicone free????? If so I must get it immediately! Silicone aggravates my skin to no end!

Vonvon said...

Thank you, gio! I knew you would like such bright shade.

Vonvon said...

Thank you, Jennifer. Yea, me too, writing a long NARS wish list.....

Vonvon said...

Hi productdoctor,

Thank you for the compliments.

But wait! I just checked the ingredient list and edited my post. We just can't trust anything they tell us. It has plenty of -cones!