Monday, August 1, 2011

Swatches & Review Of Sleek Makeup Caribbean Collection: Curacao Eyeshadow Palette; Comparison Between Monaco & Curacao

This palette is currently my favourite of the lot of Sleek Makeup eyeshadow palettes that I own. (I have 5 eyeshadow palettes from Sleek to date - Original, Sunset, Mediterranean (Monaco), Avoir le Peche, and this, Curacao from the latest Caribbean Collection!)


Between Monaco (from the Mediterranean collection which was released in June 2011) and Curacao, somehow I like this one more though prior to owning this, I think Monaco is one of the most beautiful palettes with some really gorgeous shades. I still like my Monaco palette but at the moment, it's Curacao that I am always reaching for. Compared to Monaco palette, Curacao has more vibrant and brighter shades. The colours in Monaco palette are more cool-toned, subtle and 'soft', while Curacao palette definitely has warmer shades, bright and loud! I think the cooler shades of Monaco palette are quite reflective of the elegance and serenity that are usually associated with that small principality by the Mediterranean Sea.

And of course, the bright and loud shades of Curacao palette surely represent the bright sunshine, warm breeze and liveliness of a party! Think Calypso! And the shades in Curacao palette are each named after a cocktail - Tequila Sunrise, Singapore Sling, Green Martini, Bloody Mary, etc.


Sleek Makeup Caribbean Collection Curacao eyeshadow palette

Curacao has a good mix of matte and shimmery shades. Generally, they have good pigmentation and colour pay-off with the exception of one or 2 shades. I think it's always the case with any eyeshadow palette. The shadows have soft and smooth texture.




The packaging is a black sleek casing with the word Sleek on it, and also labeled with the name of the collection and the name of the palette. Inside, it comes with a dual-ended sponge tip applicator which I never use. Each of the eyeshadow has a checkered pattern embossed on it, which Princess calls it, "they look like waffles!" :D

I do notice that even though most of the eyeshadows have good pigmentation, without an eye base, most shades last only about 4 hours on my lids before they start to crease and fade slightly. With an eye base (I am currently using Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in R.S.V.P. for most of my EOTDs), it prolongs the wear time of most Sleek eyeshadows to about 6-8 hours, vary depending on the shades. Beyond the 8th hour mark, I start to see visible creasing and fading on most shades.

Sleek Makeup Caribbean Collection Curacao eyeshadow palette












Swatches of Sleek Makeup Caribbean Collection Curacao eyeshadow palette

Swatches of the top row, L to R: Tequila Sunrise, Martini, Blue Hawaiian, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver, Green Iguana


Tequila Sunrise (shimmer) is a bright orange with yellow undertone. It has a smooth buttery texture, good pigmentation and colour pay-off.

Martini (shimmer) is an off-white shade which could be used for highlight under the brow. It has a smooth buttery texture, good pigmentation and colour pay-off.

Blue Hawaiian (matte) is a pale turquoise shade with poor pigmentation and colour pay-off, though it has a smooth texture.

Bloody Mary (matte) is an orange-y red shade (a bit crimson) with good pigmentation and colour pay-off.

Screwdriver (matte) is a bright yellow shade (my favourite colour from this palette) with medium pigmentation but quite good colour pay-off.

Green Iguana (shimmer) is a forest green which when swatched, is a tad lighter than in the pan but that's not a problem for me as it's the kind of green that I like. :) Its pigmentation is quite good, and moderate colour pay-off. Actually, it swatches a little on the sheer side.




Swatches of the bottom row, L to R: Apres Midori, Blue Lagoon, Purple Haze, Green Martini, Singapore Sling, Espresso Martini



Apres Midori (shimmer) is a leafy green with good pigmentation and colour pay-off.

Blue Lagoon (matte) is a deep sky blue with good pigmentation and colour pay-off. It has a smooth texture.

Purple Haze (matte) is a deep purple which kind of remind me of the colour of KMnO4 (potassium permanganate) in my Chemistry lab. ;) That's how this shade appears to me, don't mean it in a bad way. In fact, I like this kind of shade a lot too! It has moderate pigmentation and is somewhat slightly powdery.

Green Martini (shimmer/metallic) is a dark grey-green shade (gunmetal, perhaps?). The shimmer somewhat translates to some tiny chunks of silver-white glitter. I haven't tried this shade in a look at the time of writing. It is a bit on the sheer side when swatched. Pigmentation is good with quite good colour pay-off.

Singapore Sling (pearl/satin) is a fuchsia-pink. It is not as shimmery as the other shades that I have labeled 'shimmer' in this palette. It's between pearl and satin. Pigmentation is good with moderate colour pay-off.

Espresso Martini (matte) is quite a disappointment with poor pigmentation and colour pay-off and swatched very sheer. I haven't used this shade, but perhaps, it could be used as a base colour to create a smokey eye look from the other colours in the Curacao palette and other eyeshadows as well.




This palette has 12 x 1.1g of eyeshadows, available at Superdrug (may be it's already sold out in most stores) and www.sleekmakeup.com. (It's GBP6.49.)



8 comments:

gio said...

I love this palette, the shades are so bold and bright! Blue Hawaiian is the only color that disappointed me, it is so sheer. And what a shame they crease soon on you! I find they last more than 8 hours without problems on me if I wear a primer underneath (I'm using TFSI at the moment).

Anonymous said...

Hi Von,

where are Sleek Palettes made?

Can't seem to find this info on their website.

YS

Vonvon said...

*high 5 gio! I love the boldness and brightness of this palette too!

I don't know why it creases with the Benefit Creaseless Cream eyeshadow as a base. Perhaps I should try a different base/primer.

Vonvon said...

Hi YS, Sleek palettes are made in China.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me know.

YS

laksh said...

Such a gorgeous palette, love the bright summery colors!

Vonvon said...

No problem, YS.

Vonvon said...

Hi Laksh, it is indeed a beautiful palette. Do you plan to get any Sleek palettes to try out?