Saturday, September 24, 2011

Nails Of The Day (NOTD): Bourjois 1 Seconde Nail Enamel #11 Shimmering Coral; Review, Swatches

Yesterday, I excitedly blogged about my first Bourjois haul. And one of them is a nail polish, Bourjois 1 Seconde Nail Enamel #11, called Shimmering Coral. I found out the name after Googling it. Normally, I wouldn't use my new haul/stuff right away. But yesterday afternoon, I just decided to play with this new nail polish, but I painted only on the finger nails of my left hand.

Actually it looks more of an orange to me than a coral. May be orangey with some hint of peach. And it has fine multi-coloured shimmer in it. One thing to note, although I bought this in the Clearance bin in my local chemist, I think this nail polish is still available for sale in Boots and Superdrug, and I saw it on the Bourjois UK website too. Also, this is not a new product in the market.

OK, let's talk about the bottle first. It has a very elegant svelte design with a long and hourglass-like cap. I really like the design.

Bourjois 1 Seconde Nail Enamel #11, called Shimmering Coral



And this nail polish has a new innovation of a fan effect brush. Instead of the usual thin nail polish brush, this brush is like a flat brush with a slight curve, supposedly following the curve on your nails. (Sorry the photos of the brush aren't too clear). It claims that with this brush you can apply the nail polish on your entire nail in 1 stroke in 1 second, hence the name. And it also claims to dry in 50 seconds and no smudging.


The brush (top and bottom photo)





Let's see if it lives up to its claim.

The formula of this nail polish is not very thick. It is quite runny, but not too thin that it drips. 1 coat on my nail is very sheer with a small amount of shimmer. Then a 2nd coat gives a slight hint of peach shade on my nails, but it's still sheer. But I just stopped at 2 coats. Then, I decided to put on a 3rd coat, just on my index finger because I scratched the nail polish slightly, and it became almost opaque, my nail line was just barely visible, and the colour became more orangey. Overall, the shimmer is quite subtle yet pretty.


This photo was taken in my makeshift light box with the natural sunlight to my back.


This photo was taken by the window with natural sunlight.

The 2 photos above are: 1 coat on my index finger, 2 coats on the rest of the fingers.





The photo above is: 3 coats on my index finger, 2 coats on the rest of the fingers.


The photo above is: 3 coats on my index finger, 2 coats on the middle finger. You can see that the orangey peach colour is more intense.

Edited to add (25 September 2011):
It applied evenly and smoothly without any streaking. And there was no bubbling after drying. (I forgot to mention earlier.)
Today is the 2nd day of wear and I have not seen any chipping. There is only some slight nail tip wear, but that's probably due to ginormous amount of house work that requires h*ll of a lot of washing!


So, does it apply easily with the brush? Well, for my tiny nails, the brush deposits nail polish perfectly on my index, middle and ring fingers' nails. But on my tiny little pinky, the brush was a little too broad and it deposited some polish between my nails and the sides of my skin, which I had to clean up after. And on my broad thumb, 1 stroke of the brush couldn't cover the whole nail and I had to apply twice.

And does it dry in 50 seconds? Well, may be. I didn't time it. But I added a 2nd coat right after I finished applying the first coat on every nail. And the 2nd coat also dried quite fast. But, I think it didn't dry completely even after a few minutes and I scratched part of the polish on my index finger and that's why I put on a 3rd coat. I didn't bother with a 3rd coat for the rest of the nails, as I know usually with all my household chores, they wouldn't last long no matter how many coats I put on.



It retails for GBP5.99 normally. But I got this on offer of 2 for GBP5 at my local chemist.


2 comments:

Appu said...

I really like the color! Although from the bottle I expected a brighter orange. It still is very pretty :)

Vonvon said...

I thought I replied to this comment, Appu! Sorry.

Glad you like it. Yes, I also expected an orange, instead of the peachy version. But nevertheless it's very pretty! :)