Monday, September 19, 2011

Swatches & Quick Reviews: MAC Bloggers Collection Haul - Jealousy Wakes, Sonoran Rain & Nitro:licious 2046

Good morning, everyone!

Today's post is really nothing new. This MAC collection was out in Summer but I didn't get my haul till about 2 weeks ago. Reason? As you all know, the MAC Bloggers Collection was released and exclusively available online only in the USA and Canada. So I had a friend in Canada got them for me, and her bf just came back from visiting her in early September, bringing these with him. Hence, the extreme lateness in posting about this.








After much deliberation, I decided to get Jealousy Wakes eyeshadow which, I think most of you would know, was created by Christine of Temptalia. Yes, for those of you who have guessed the eyeshadow, it's Jealousy Wakes! Not only do I read her blog everyday, but I like green/teal eyeshadows a lot, and this was the only eyeshadow of the 4 which had a Veluxe Pearl finish. And my favourite eyeshadow finish of MAC eyeshadow is Veluxe Pearl. As for the lipglasses, actually I had wanted them all initially. But of course that's just madness to buy all of them, looking from the financial stand point. I love the All My Purple Life (or it sounds something like that) lipglass, as it was an all-purple purple shade. But my friend talked me out of it, as from a practical stand point, I wouldn't be using it too often.

Anyways, I decided to get Sonoran Rain, because then, in Summer, the orange lip trend was all the rage, and it still is now in Autumn, and I have become very fond of the orange colour, orange lippies, and even orange eyeshadows! Not to forget orange blush!

And when I read about the inspiration behind Wendy Lam's Nitro:licious 2046 lipglass, I knew I had to get that. I haven't watched the Hong Kong film 2046, but I like Wong Kar Wai and all his works. He is a well-known film director, producer and writer from Hong Kong. And the red colour of this lipglass was inspired by the colour of Zhang Ziyi's qipao (Chinese costume) in the film. And I also happened to like Zhang Ziyi. And you can never have too many a red lipstick/lip gloss, can you? Or shall I re-phrase..... I can NEVER have too many red lippies, can I? ;) Though, lately, orange seems to be overshadowing red for me.


OK, here are more photos and swatches of each item. The second Jealousy Wakes is for a friend. :)





Jealousy Wakes is indeed a beautiful green shade with a hint of teal and blue. I don't find it too special but I don't think I have seen a similar shade of green, well, not in my stash, of course. It has some blue undertone with silver shimmer. As it is a Veluxe Pearl, its pigmentation is good with excellent colour pay off, and it has a soft and smooth texture. It applies beautifully on my lids and blends well with other eyeshadow. I have tried it with MAC Pro Longwear Eyeshadow in Styledriven (a beautiful light blue colour) from the new Styledriven Collection. The wear time for Jealousy Wakes is, as long as I wore it on my lids, that is almost 10 hours, without any fading nor creasing!





Swatches of Jealousy Wakes






Both lipglasses that I purchased, Sonoran Rain and Nitro:licious 2046, have a thick consistency, but not very sticky, to my surprise. They apply easily on my lips, but since the colours are quite bright and pigmented, applying directly from the doe-foot applicator would need some cleaning up on the edges of my lips. So far, I have not experienced any problem with feathering. But lining your lips with a lip liner first does you no harm. ;) In the lip swatches below, I have dabbed them on with my fingers and spread it on my lips. The overall wear time for these lipglosses is about 3-4 hours, depending on eating and drinking. I noticed that even after food/drink, the colour faded quite evenly, and became less intense, somewhat muted shade of the original colour, which wasn't a bad thing actually.


MAC Bloggers Collection lipglasses
Sonoran Rain (L), Nitro:licious 2046(R)


Swatches of MAC Bloggers Collection lipglasses
Nitro:licious 2046 (L), Sonoran Rain (R)


Sonoran Rain is a red-based orange with silver and gold shimmer.

Nitro:licious 2046 is a bright red with a glossy finish.





Nitro:licious 2046, lightly dabbed and spread on my lips
You can see that it isn't such a scary red colour afterall, if you really use a very, very light hand when applying.







Sonoran Rain, lightly dabbed and spread on my lips
You get a sheer wash of colour and shine on the lips.



I will have photos of the lipglasses applied directly from the applicator up in the next few days.


Hope you will have a great week ahead!


4 comments:

Kira said...

I'm sorry it took so long to get to you!! But I'm glad you were finally able to get them and more importantly, that you like them! I haven't tried a look with Jealousy Wakes yet, but I have dabbled with the colour and I really like it. Did you see the look Christine posted with Jealousy Wakes and Vex? Very nice combo.
Sonoran Rain is gooooorgeous too! If you apply a bit more colour (thin layer with the doe foot applicator thingy), it really is a pop of colour :) <3

gio said...

Jealousy Wakes is so pretty! Love the glosses too.

Vonvon said...

No worries, Kira love! :) I am so grateful that you helped me get them. Or else I wouldn't have gotten any.

Yes, I remember that combo with Vex, very pretty!

I did apply Sonoran Rain that way and yes, it's lovely!

Thanks so much again,love! Xoxo

Vonvon said...

Yes, gio. These 3 are very very pretty! It's love, love, love!